IACC Full Committee Meeting Science Update (References) - July 9, 2013
Below you will find links to the references mentioned in the Science Update.
Question 1: When should I be concerned?
- Raznahan et al. Compared to What? Early Brain Overgrowth in Autism and the Perils of Population Norms. Biological Psychiatry. May 23, 2013.
- Battaglia et al. Confirmation of chromosomal microarray as a first-tier clinical diagnostic test for individuals with developmental delay, intellectual disability, autism spectrum disorders and dysmorphic features. European Journal of Paediatric Neurology. May 24, 2013.
- Daniels AM, Mandell DS. Children's Compliance with American Academy of Pediatrics' Well-Child Care Visit Guidelines and the Early Detection of Autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. April 26, 2013.
Question 2: How can I understand what is happening?
- Goncalves JT, Anstey JE, Golshani P, Portera-Cailliau C. Circuit level defects in the developing neocortex of Fragile X mice. Nature Neuroscience. June 2, 2013.
- Bateup et al. Excitatory/Inhibitory Synaptic Imbalance Leads to Hippocampal Hyperexcitability in Mouse Models of Tuberous Sclerosis. Neuron. May 8, 2013.
- Normand et al. Temporal and Mosaic Tsc1 Deletion in the Developing Thalamus Disrupts Thalamocortical Circuitry, Neural Function, and Behavior. Neuron. June 5, 2013.
- Nair et al. Impaired thalamocortical connectivity in autism spectrum disorder: a study of functional and anatomical connectivity. Brain. June 2013.
- Lucina et al. Salience Network-Based Classification and Prediction of Symptom Severity in Children With Autism. The Journal of the American Medical Association Psychiatry. June 18, 2013.
- Abrams et al. Underconnectivity between voice-selective cortex and reward circuitry in children with autism. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. June 17, 2013.
- Lau et al. Markers of Celiac Disease and Gluten Sensitivity in Children with Autism. (PDF – 282 KB) Public Library of Science. June 18, 2013.
- Kang et al. Reduced Incidence of Prevotella and Other Fermenters in Intestinal Microflora of Autistic Children. (PDF – 2 MB) Public Library of Science. July 3, 2013.
Question 3: What caused this to happen and can it be prevented?
- Lyall et al. Maternal Dietary Fat Intake in Association With Autism Spectrum Disorders. American Journal of Epidemiology. June 27, 2013.
- Christensen et al. Prenatal Valproate Exposure and Risk of Autism Spectrum Disorders and Childhood Autism. The Journal of the American Medical Association. April 24, 2013.
- Roberts et al. Perinatal Air Pollutant Exposures and Autism Spectrum Disorder in the Children of Nurses' Health Study II Participants. Environmental Health Perspectives. June 18, 2013.
- Lim et al. Rare complete knockouts in humans: population distribution and significant role in autism spectrum disorders. Neuron. January 2013.
- Noh et al. Network Topologies and Convergent Aetiologies Arising from Deletions and Duplications Observed in Individuals with Autism. (PDF – 1.4 MB) Public Library of Science. June 9, 2013.
- Gamsiz et al. Intellectual Disability Is Associated with Increased Runs of Homozygosity in Simplex Autism. American Journal of Human Genetics. July 3, 2013.
Question 4: Which treatments and interventions will help?
- Emerson A, Dearden J. Accommodating to motor difficulties and communication impairments in people with autism: the MORE intervention model. (PDF – 745 KB) Frontiers in Integrative Neuroscience. June 18, 2013.
- Woo CC, Leon M. Environmental Enrichment as an Effective Treatment for Autism: A Randomized Controlled Trial. (PDF – 560 KB) Behavioral Neuroscience. May 20, 2013.
Question 5: Where can I turn for services?
- Broder-Fingert et al. Racial and Ethnic Differences in Subspecialty Service Use by Children With Autism. Pediatrics. June 17, 2013.
- Bilaver and Jordan. Impact of State Mental Health Parity Laws on Access to Autism Services. (PDF – 480 KB) Psychiatric Services. June 17, 2013.
- Farmer et al. The Relationship Between the Medical Home and Unmet Needs for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Maternal and Child Health Journal. June 23, 2013.
Question 6: What does the future hold, particularly for adults?
- Holwerda et al. Predictors of sustainable work participation of young adults with developmental disorders. Research in Developmental Disabilities. June 18, 2013.
- Eack et al. Cognitive Enhancement Therapy for Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder: Results of an 18-month Feasibility Study. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. April 26, 2013.
Question 7: What other infrastructure and surveillance needs must be met?
- Di Martino et al. The autism brain imaging data exchange: towards a large-scale evaluation of the intrinsic brain architecture in autism. Molecular Psychiatry. June 18, 2013.
- Schendel et al. The International Collaboration for Autism Registry Epidemiology (iCARE): Multinational Registry-Based Investigations of Autism Risk Factors and Trends. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. April 7, 2013.