IACC Workshop on Under-Recognized Co-Occurring Conditions in ASD - September 23, 2014
Autism Co-Occurring Conditions Guidelines and Publications
Gastrointestinal Conditions and Eating Behaviors
- ATN/AIR-P Exploring Feeding Behavior in Autism: A Parent's Guide
- ATN/AIR-P Guide for Managing Constipation in Children: A Tool Kit for Parents
- Buie et al. Evaluation, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Gastrointestinal Disorders in Individuals With ASDs: A Consensus Report. Pediatrics Supplement. January 2010.
- Furuta et al. Management of Constipation in Children and Adolescents With Autism Spectrum Disorders. Pediatrics Supplement. November 1, 2012.
- Beighley et al. Food selectivity in children with and without an autism spectrum disorder: investigation of diagnosis and age. Res Dev Disabil. October 2013.
- Buie T. The relationship of autism and gluten. Clin Ther. May 2013
- Coury et al. Gastrointestinal Conditions in Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder: Developing a Research Agenda Pediatrics Supplement. November 1, 2012.
- Douglas-Escobar et al. Effect of intestinal microbial ecology on the developing brain. JAMA Pediatr. April 2013.
- Hsiao et al. Microbiota modulate behavioral and physiological abnormalities associated with neurodevelopmental disorders. Cell. December 19, 2013.
- Huke et al. Autism spectrum disorders in eating disorder populations: a systematic review. Eur Eat Disord Rev. September 2013.
- Hyman et al. Nutrient Intake From Food in Children With Autism Pediatrics Supplement. November 1, 2012.
- Kral, T, Eriksen W, Souders M, Pinto Martin J. Eating Behaviors, Diet Quality, and Gastrointestinal Symptoms in Children With Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Brief Review. J Pediatric Nursing. March 24, 2013.
- Lau et al. Markers of Celiac Disease and Gluten Sensitivity in Children with Autism. PLoS One. June 2013.
- Nikolov et al. Gastrointestinal symptoms in a sample of children with pervasive developmental disorders. J Autism Dev Disord. March 2009.
- Rastam et al. Eating problems and overlap with ADHD and autism spectrum disorders in a nationwide twin study of 9- and 12-year-old children. ScientificWorldJournal. April 15, 2013.
- Ruskin et al. Ketogenic diet improves core symptoms of autism in BTBR mice. PLoS One. June 5, 2013.
- Williams et al. Impaired carbohydrate digestion and transport and mucosal dysbiosis in the intestines of children with autism and gastrointestinal disturbances. PLoS One. September 2011.
- Lundvall et al. Aetiology of severe mental retardation and further genetic analysis by high-resolution microarray in a population-based series of 6- to 17-year-old children. Acta Paediatr. January 2012.
- Moskowitz et al. A multimethod assessment of anxiety and problem behavior in children with autism spectrum disorders and intellectual disability. Am J Intellect Dev Disabil. November 2013.
- Srivastava and Schwartz. Intellectual Disability and Autism Spectrum Disorders: Causal Genes and Molecular Mechanisms. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. April 4, 2014.
- Tureck et al. An examination of the relationship between autism spectrum disorder, intellectual functioning, and comorbid symptoms in children. Res Dev Disabil. March 20, 2014.
- Turygin et al. Prevalence of co-occurring disorders in a sample of adults with mild and moderate intellectual disabilities who reside in a residential treatment setting. Res Dev Disabil. March 20, 2014.
Metabolic and Immune Conditions
- Adams et al. Nutritional and metabolic status of children with autism vs. neurotypical children, and the association with autism severity. Nutr Metab (Lond). June 2011.
- Ashwood et al. In search of cellular immunophenotypes in the blood of children with ASD. PLoS One. May 4, 2011.
- Ashwood et al. Elevated plasma cytokines in autism spectrum disorders provide evidence of immune dysfunction and are associated with impaired behavioral outcome. Brain Behav Immun. January 2011.
- Beaudet et al. Neuroscience. Preventable forms of autism? Science. October 19, 2012.
- Careaga et al. Immune dysfunction in autism: A pathway to treatment. Neurotherapeutics. July 2010.
- Celestino-Soper et al. A common X-linked inborn error of carnitine biosynthesis may be a risk factor for nondysmorphic autism. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. May 22, 2012.
- Frye et al. Metabolic effects of sapropterin treatment in autism spectrum disorder: a preliminary study. (PDF – 1.3 MB) Transl Psychiatry. March 2013.
- Frye et al. Redox metabolism abnormalities in autistic children associated with mitochondrial disease. (PDF – 2 MB) Transl Psychiatry. June 2013.
- Frye et al. Unique acyl-carnitine profiles are potential biomarkers for acquired mitochondrial disease in autism spectrum disorder. (PDF – 1.4 MB) Transl Psychiatry. January 2013.
- Graf et al. Autism associated with the mitochondrial DNA G8363A transfer RNA(Lys) mutation. J Child Neurol. June 2000.
- Novarino et al. Mutations in BCKD-kinase lead to a potentially treatable form of autism with epilepsy. Science. October 19, 2012.
- Rossignol and Frye. Mitochondrial dysfunction in autism spectrum disorders: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Molecular Psychiatry. January 2011.
- Zecavati and Spence. Neurometabolic Disorders and Dysfunction in Autism Spectrum Disorders. (PDF – 388 KB) Current Neurology and Neuroscience Reports. March 2009.
Neurological Conditions and Motor Impairments
- Amiet et al. Does epilepsy in multiplex autism pedigrees define a different subgroup in terms of clinical characteristics and genetic risk? Mol Autism. December 1, 2013.
- Christensen et al. Prevalence of cerebral palsy, co-occurring autism spectrum disorders, and motor functioning - Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network, USA, 2008. Dev Med Child Neurol. January 2014.
- Galizia et al. Array comparative genomic hybridization: results from an adult population with drug-resistant epilepsy and co-morbidities. Eur J Med Genet. May 2012.
- Helmstaedter et al. Disentangling the relationship between epilepsy and its behavioral comorbidities—the need for prospective studies in new-onset epilepsies. Epilepsy Behav. February 2014.
- Jeste et al. Characterization of autism in young children with tuberous sclerosis complex. J Child Neurol. May 2008.
- Lewis et al. Impaired language pathways in tuberous sclerosis complex patients with autism spectrum disorders. Cereb Cortex. July 2013.
- Malow BA. Searching for autism symptomatology in children with epilepsy—a new approach to an established comorbidity. Epilepsy Curr. September-October 2006.
- Maski et al. Common neurological co-morbidities in autism spectrum disorders. Curr Opin Pediatr. December 2011.
- Nicholl et al. Epilepsy with cognitive deficit and autism spectrum disorders: prospective diagnosis by array CGH. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. January 2013.
- Sahin M. Targeted treatment trials for tuberous sclerosis and autism: no longer a dream. Curr Opin Neurobiol. October 2012.
- Shorter and Wachtel. Childhood catatonia, autism and psychosis past and present: is there an 'iron triangle'? Acta Psychiatr Scand. July 2013.
- Spurling et al. Early developmental trajectories associated with ASD in infants with tuberous sclerosis complex. Neurology. July 8, 2014.
- Tuchman and Cuccaro. Epilepsy and Autism: Neurodevelopmental Perspective. Current Neurology and Neuroscience Reports. August 2011.
- Mahajan et al. Clinical Practice Pathways for Evaluation and Medication Choice for Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Symptoms in Autism Spectrum Disorders. Pediatrics Supplement. November 1, 2012.
- Nadeau et al. Treatment of comorbid anxiety and autism spectrum disorders. Neuropsychiatry (London). December 2011.
- Bradstreet et al. Biomarker-guided interventions of clinically relevant conditions associated with autism spectrum disorders and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Altern Med Rev. April 2010.
- Cassidy S, Bradley P, Robinson J, Allison C, McHugh M, Baron-Cohen S. Suicidal ideation and suicide plans or attempts in adults with Asperger's syndrome attending a specialist diagnostic clinic: a clinical cohort study. The Lancet Psychiatry. July 2014, 1(2); Pages 142 – 147.
- Cochran et al. "Autism-plus" spectrum disorders: intersection with psychosis and the schizophrenia spectrum. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am. October 2013.
- Johnston et al. Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder symptoms in adults with autism spectrum disorders. Autism Res. August 2013.
- Mazefsky et al. Emotion Regulation Patterns in Adolescents With High-Functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder: Comparison to Typically Developing Adolescents and Association With Psychiatric Symptoms. Autism Res. March 7, 2014.
- Musser et al. Shared familial transmission of autism spectrum and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorders. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. January 21, 2014.
- Rao and Landa. Association between severity of behavioral phenotype and comorbid attention deficit hyperactivity disorder symptoms in children with autism spectrum disorders. Autism. April 2014.
- Richa et al. Suicide in Autism Spectrum Disorders. Altern Med Rev. April 8, 2014.
- Russell et al. Cognitive behavior therapy for comorbid obsessive-compulsive disorder in high-functioning autism spectrum disorders: a randomized controlled trial. Depress Anxiety. August 2013.
- Sikora et al. Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Symptoms, Adaptive Functioning, and Quality of Life in Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder. Pediatrics Supplement. November 1, 2012.
- Storch et al. The role of co-occurring disruptive behavior in the clinical presentation of children and adolescents with anxiety in the context of autism spectrum disorders. Child Psychiatry Hum Dev. Oct 2012.
- Talisa et al. Autism and anxiety in males with fragile X syndrome: An exploratory analysis of neurobehavioral profiles from a parent survey. Am J Med Genet A. May 2014.
- Ung et al. Clinical characteristics of high-functioning youth with autism spectrum disorder and anxiety. Neuropsychiatry. April 2013.
- White et al. Anxiety in children and adolescents with autism spectrum disorders. Clin Psychol Rev. April 2009.
- Autism Speaks/Autism Treatment Network/AIR-P Sleep Toolkit
- Malow et al. A Practice Pathway for the Identification, Evaluation, and Management of Insomnia in Children and Adolescents With Autism Spectrum Disorders. Pediatrics Supplement. November 1, 2012.
- Johnson KP and Malow BA. Sleep in children with autism spectrum disorders. Curr Treatment Options Neurol. September 2008.
- Johnson KP and Malow BA. Assessment and pharmacologic treatment of sleep disturbance in autism. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am. October 2008.
- Adkins et al. Effects of a Standardized Pamphlet on Insomnia in Children With Autism Spectrum Disorders. Pediatrics Supplement. November 1, 2012.
- Andersen et al. Melatonin for insomnia for children with autism spectrum disorders. J Child Neurol. May 2008.
- Buckley et al. An open label trial of donepezil for enhancement of rapid eye movement sleep in young children with autism spectrum disorders. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. August 2011.
- Buckley et al. Rapid eye movement sleep percentage in children with autism compared with children with developmental delay and typical development. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. November 2010.
- Krakowiak et al. Sleep problems in children with autism spectrum disorders, developmental delays, and typical development: a population-based study. J Sleep Res. June 2008.
- Malow et al. Parent-Based Sleep Education for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. June 2013
- Malow et al. Characterizing sleep in children with autism spectrum disorders: a multidimensional approach. Sleep. Dec 2006.
- Reed et al. Parent-based sleep education workshops in autism. J Child Neurol. August 2009.
- Reynolds et al. Sleep and autism spectrum disorders. Pediatr Clin North Am. June 2011.
- Schwichtenberg et al. Behavior and sleep problems in children with a family history of autism. Autism Res. April 2013.
- Sikora et al. The Relationship Between Sleep Problems and Daytime Behavior in Children of Different Ages With Autism Spectrum Disorders. Pediatrics Supplement. November 1, 2012.
Other Related Resources
- Bauman ML. Medical comorbidities in autism: challenges to diagnosis and treatment. Neurotherapeutics. July 2010.
- Carlsson et al. Coexisting disorders and problems in preschool children with autism spectrum disorders. ScientificWorldJournal. April 23, 2013.
- Coury et al. Use of Psychotropic Medication in Children and Adolescents With Autism Spectrum Disorders. Pediatrics Supplement. November 1, 2012.
- Curtin et al. The prevalence of obesity in children with autism: a secondary data analysis using nationally representative data from the National Survey of Children's Health. BMC Pediatr. February 23, 2010.
- Doshi-Velez et al. Comorbidity clusters in autism spectrum disorders: an electronic health record time-series analysis. Pediatrics. January 2014.
- Garcia et al. Self-directedness and cooperativeness, psychosocial dysfunction and suffering in ESSENCE. ScientificWorldJournal. April 28, 2013.
- Gillberg C, Fernell E. Autism Plus Versus Autism Pure. J Autism Dev Disord. Jun 24, 2014. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kohane et al. The Co-Morbidity Burden of Children and Young Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders. PloS One. April 2012.
- Kohane et al. The co-morbidity burden of children and young adults with autism spectrum disorders. PLoS One. April 2012.
- Lajonchere at al. Leadership in Health Care, Research, and Quality Improvement for Children and Adolescents With Autism Spectrum Disorders: Autism Treatment Network and Autism Intervention Research Network on Physical Health. Pediatrics Supplement. November 1, 2012.
- Lundvall et al. Common neurological co-morbidities in autism spectrum disorders. Curr Opin Pediatr. December 2011.
- Perrin et al. Complementary and Alternative Medicine Use in a Large Pediatric Autism Sample. Pediatrics Supplement. November 1, 2012.
- Pettersson et al. Different neurodevelopmental symptoms have a common genetic etiology. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. December 2013.
- Russ et al. Hearing difficulties in children with special health care needs. J Dev Behav Pediatr. September 2013.
- Spencer et al. Psychotropic medication use and polypharmacy in children with autism spectrum disorders. Pediatrics. November 2013.