Summary of Advances
In Autism Spectrum Disorder Research
Articles Selected for the 2014 Summary of Advances
Question 1: When Should I Be Concerned?
- Approaches to enhancing the early detection of autism spectrum disorders: a systematic review of the literature
- Validation of the Modified Checklist for Autism in Toddlers, Revised with Follow-up (M-CHAT-R/F)
Question 2: How Can I Understand What Is Happening?
- Synaptic, transcriptional and chromatin genes disrupted in autism
- Behavioral and cognitive characteristics of females and males with autism in the Simons Simplex Collection
- A higher mutational burden in females supports a “female protective model” in neurodevelopmental disorders
- Gastrointestinal symptoms in autism spectrum disorder: a meta-analysis
- Convergence of genes and cellular pathways dysregulated in autism spectrum disorders
Question 3: What Caused This to Happen and Can It Be Prevented?
- Most genetic risk for autism resides with common variation
- Prenatal SSRI use and offspring with autism spectrum disorder or developmental delay
- The contribution of de novo coding mutations to autism spectrum disorder
- The familial risk of autism
- Vaccines are not associated with autism: an evidencebased meta-analysis of case-control and cohort studies
Question 4: Which Treatments and Interventions Will Help?
- Caregiver-mediated intervention for low-resourced preschoolers with autism: an RCT
- Parent-implemented social intervention for toddlers with autism: an RCT
Question 5: Where Can I Turn for Services?
- Costs of autism spectrum disorders in the United Kingdom and the United States
- Economic burden of childhood autism spectrum disorders
Question 6: What Does the Future Hold, Particularly for Adults?
- A longitudinal examination of 10-year change in vocational and educational activities for adults with autism spectrum disorders
Question 7: What Other Infrastructure and Surveillance Needs Must Be Met?
- Prevalence of autism spectrum disorder among children aged 8 years—autism and developmental disabilities monitoring network, 11 sites, United States, 2010
- The autism brain imaging data exchange: towards a large-scale evaluation of the intrinsic brain architecture in autism
- Potential impact of DSM5 criteria on autism spectrum disorder prevalence estimates