Toolkits and Guides
These toolkits and guides provide information on laws, supports, and services that enable people on the autism spectrum to live in the community as well as guidance on finding housing.
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)
- Long-Term Services and Supports Rebalancing Toolkit This toolkit was created to support states in their efforts to expand and enhance home and community-based services (HCBS) and to move long-term services and supports (LTSS) from institutional to community-based systems. A more detailed overview of the toolkit can be found here.
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
- Guidance on Treatment of ABLE Accounts in HUD-Assisted Programs This document provides guidance about the requirement that housing providers exclude ABLE accounts from the calculation of income and assets.
Private and Non-ProfitLink Disclaimer
- Autism Speaks
- Housing and Residential Supports Tool Kit This toolkit provides an overview of housing options, lists commonly needed supports and services, describes funding options, and helps adults with autism and their families make a plan.
- Autistic Self Advocacy Network (ASAN)
- Crisis in our Communities: Racial Disparities in Community Living People of color with disabilities have both added attitudinal and structural barriers to community living. This resource outlines some key recommendations that would help decrease barriers to accessing home and community-based services (HCBS). This toolkit is available in both easy read and plain language formats. There is also an accompanying study guide for discussion groups.
- "Who's in Control?": Control over community services for people with disabilities This toolkit from ASAN answers the important basic questions of community-based services and gives self-advocates greater control over the services and support they receive. This resource also imparts knowledge about the benefits of living in the community and what questions to ask to ensure the best fit of services.
- Accessing Home and Community-Based Services: A Guide for Self-Advocates This handbook is designed to help people with disabilities find and use resources that promote independent living. It includes information on support services and waivers, housing, employment, and community resources. This handbook was created in partnership with Autism NOW Center.
- Community Living Summit Resources ASAN compiled this list of resources to teach stakeholders about laws, rules, programs, and more that enable autistic people to live in the community.
- Getting and Advocating for Community-Based Housing This toolkit was created to help people with disabilities understand important laws and concepts related to community living. It also provides an overview of various housing programs. This toolkit was created in partnership with Family Network on Disabilities.
- Toolkit on Improving Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) ASAN published this toolkit for advocates, families, and administrators to ensure that people with disabilities receive Medicaid-funded Home and Community-Based Services in integrated settings.
Websites and Programs | Toolkits and Guides | Reports| Research Articles | Videos