Summary of Advance
In Autism Spectrum Disorder Research
Articles Selected for the 2013 Summary of Advances
Question 1: When Should I Be Concerned?
- Effectiveness of developmental screening in an urban setting
- Attention to eyes is present but in decline in 2-6-month-old infants later diagnosed with autism
- Developmental trajectories in children with and without autism spectrum disorders: the first 3 years
- Pediatrician identification of Latino children at risk for autism spectrum disorder
Question 2: How Can I Understand What Is Happening?
- Gastrointestinal problems in children with autism, developmental delays or typical development
- Comorbidity clusters in autism spectrum disorders: an electronic health record time-series analysis
- Microbiota modulate behavioral and physiological abnormalities associated with neurodevelopmental disorders
- Coexpression networks implicate human midfetal deep cortical projection neurons in the pathogenesis of autism
- Integrative functional genomic analyses implicate specific molecular pathways and circuits in autism
Question 3: What Caused This to Happen and Can It Be Prevented?
- Maternal antibodies from mothers of children with autism alter brain growth and social behavior development in the rhesus monkey
- Autism risk across generations: a population-based study of advancing grandpaternal and paternal age
- Association between maternal use of folic acid supplements and risk of autism spectrum disorders in children
Question 4: Which Treatments and Interventions Will Help?
- Preschool based JASPER intervention in minimally verbal children with autism: pilot RCT
- Oxytocin enhances brain function in children with autism
Question 5: Where Can I Turn for Services?
- Comparative efficacy of LEAP, TEACCH and non-model-specific special education programs for preschoolers with autism spectrum disorders
- Comparing cognitive outcomes among children with autism spectrum disorders receiving communitybased early intervention in one of three placements
Question 6: What Does the Future Hold, Particularly for Adults?
- Optimal outcome in individuals with a history of autism
- The cost-effectiveness of supported employment for adults with autism in the United Kingdom
Question 7: What Other Infrastructure and Surveillance Needs Must Be Met?
- Minneapolis Somali autism spectrum disorder prevalence project: community report 2013
- Evaluating changes in the prevalence of the autism spectrum disorders (ASDs)