Summary of Advance
In Autism Spectrum Disorder Research
Articles Selected for the 2016 Summary of Advances
Question 1: When Should I Be Concerned?
- Reduced engagement with social stimuli in 6-month-old infants with later autism spectrum disorder: a longitudinal prospective study of infants at high familial risk
- School-age outcomes of infants at risk for autism spectrum disorder
Question 2: How Can I Understand What Is Happening?
- Peripheral mechanosensory neuron dysfunction underlies tactile and behavioral deficits in mouse models of ASDs
- Genome-wide changes in lncRNA, splicing, and regional gene expression patterns in autism
- Gene expression in human brain implicates sexually dimorphic pathways in autism spectrum disorders
Question 3: What Caused This to Happen and Can It Be Prevented?
- Effect of co-twin gender on neurodevelopmental symptoms: a twin register study
- Risk of psychiatric and neurodevelopmental disorders among siblings of probands with autism spectrum disorders
- Association between influenza infection and vaccination during pregnancy and risk of autism spectrum disorder
Question 4: Which Treatments and Interventions Will Help?
- Longitudinal effects of adaptive interventions with a speech-generating device in minimally verbal children with ASD
- Preschool deployment of evidence-based social communication intervention: JASPER in the classroom
- Intervention effects on spoken-language outcomes for children with autism: a systematic review and meta-analysis
- Children with autism spectrum disorder and social skills groups at school: a randomized trial comparing intervention approach and peer composition
- Parent-mediated social communication therapy for young children with autism (PACT): long-term follow-up of a randomised controlled trial
- Brain responses to biological motion predict treatment outcome in young children with autism
Question 5: Where Can I Turn for Services?
- The effects of Medicaid home and community-based services waivers on unmet needs among children with autism spectrum disorder
- Effects of autism spectrum disorder insurance mandates on the treated prevalence of autism spectrum disorder
- Sociodemographic disparities in intervention service utilization in families of children with autism spectrum disorder
Question 6: What Does the Future Hold, Particularly for Adults?
- Premature mortality in autism spectrum disorder
- Effects of an employer-based intervention on employment outcomes for youth with significant support needs due to autism
Question 7: What Other Infrastructure and Surveillance Needs Must Be Met?
- Prevalence and characteristics of autism spectrum disorder among children aged 8 years—Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network, 11 sites, United States, 2012