Summary of Advances
In Autism Spectrum Disorder Research
Articles Selected for the 2017 Summary of Advances
Question 1: How Can I Recognize The Signs Of ASD, and Why Is Early Detection So Important?
- Race influences parent report of concerns about symptoms of autism spectrum disorder
- Functional neuroimaging of high-risk 6-month-old infants predicts a diagnosis of autism at 24 months of age
- Early brain development in infants at high risk for autism spectrum disorder
- A prospective study of the concordance of DSM-IV and DSM-5 diagnostic criteria for autism spectrum disorder
Question 2: What Is the Biology Underlying ASD?
- Infant viewing of social scenes is under genetic control and is atypical in autism
- What will my child’s future hold? Phenotypes of intellectual development in 2-8-year-olds with autism spectrum disorder
Question 3: What Causes ASD, and Can Disabling Aspects of ASD be Prevented or Preempted?
- Cross-tissue integration of genetic and epigenetic data offers insight into autism spectrum disorder
- Fetal and postnatal metal dysregulation in autism
- Prenatal exposure to fever is associated with autism spectrum disorder in the Boston Birth Cohort
- Maternal multivitamin intake, plasma folate and vitamin B12 levels and autism spectrum disorder risk in offspring
- Autism risk following antidepressant medication during pregnancy
- The association between maternal use of folic acid supplements during pregnancy and risk of autism spectrum disorders in children: a meta-analysis
Question 4: Which Treatments and Interventions Will Help?
- Adaptive behavior in autism: minimal clinically important differences on the Vineland-II
- A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of metformin for the treatment of overweight induced by antipsychotic medication in young people with autism spectrum disorder: open-label extension
- Parent-delivered early intervention in infants at risk for ASD: effects on electrophysiological and habituation measures of social attention
Question 5: What Kinds Of Services and Supports are Needed To Maximize Quality Of Life For People On The Autism Spectrum?
- Effects of state insurance mandates on health care use and spending for autism spectrum disorder
- Cost offset associated with Early Start Denver Model for children with autism
Question 6: How Can We Meet The Needs Of People With ASD as They Progress Into and Through Adulthood?
- Injury mortality in individuals with autism
Question 7: How Do We Continue To Build, Expand, and Enhance the Infrastructure System To Meet the Needs of the ASD Community?
- Autism spectrum disorder among US children (2002-2010): socioeconomic, racial, and ethnic disparities
- What is the male-to-female ratio in autism spectrum disorder? A systematic review and meta-analysis