IACC Co-Occurring Conditions Planning Group Meeting Materials - May 27, 2014
Below you will find links to the materials for the meeting.
Autism Co-occurring Conditions Guidelines and Publications
Gastrointestinal and Eating Behaviors
- ATN/AIR-P Exploring Feeding Behavior in Autism: A Parent's Guide
- ATN/AIR-P Guide for Managing Constipation in Children: A Tool Kit for Parents
- Buie et al. Evaluation, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Gastrointestinal Disorders in Individuals With ASDs: A Consensus Report. Pediatrics Supplement. January 2010.
- Furuta et al. Management of Constipation in Children and Adolescents With Autism Spectrum Disorders. Pediatrics Supplement. November 1, 2012.
- Beighley et al. Food selectivity in children with and without an autism spectrum disorder: investigation of diagnosis and age. Res Dev Disabil. October 2013.
- Buie T. The relationship of autism and gluten. Clin Ther. May 2013
- Coury et al. Gastrointestinal Conditions in Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder: Developing a Research Agenda Pediatrics Supplement. November 1, 2012.
- Douglas-Escobar et al. Effect of intestinal microbial ecology on the developing brain. JAMA Pediatr. April 2013.
- Hsiao et al. Microbiota modulate behavioral and physiological abnormalities associated with neurodevelopmental disorders. Cell. December 19, 2013.
- Huke et al. Autism spectrum disorders in eating disorder populations: a systematic review. Eur Eat Disord Rev. September 2013.
- Hyman et. al. Nutrient Intake From Food in Children With Autism Pediatrics Supplement. November 1, 2012.
- Kral, T, Eriksen W, Souders M, Pinto Martin J. Eating Behaviors, Diet Quality, and Gastrointestinal Symptoms in Children With Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Brief Review. J Pediatric Nursing. March 24, 2013.
- Lau et al. Markers of Celiac Disease and Gluten Sensitivity in Children with Autism. PLoS One. June 2013.
- Rastam et al. Eating problems and overlap with ADHD and autism spectrum disorders in a nationwide twin study of 9- and 12-year-old children. ScientificWorldJournal. April 15, 2013.
- Ruskin et al. Ketogenic diet improves core symptoms of autism in BTBR mice. PLoS One. June 5, 2013.
- Williams et al. Impaired carbohydrate digestion and transport and mucosal dysbiosis in the intestines of children with autism and gastrointestinal disturbances. PLoS One. September 2011.
- D A Rossignol, R E Frye. A review of research trends in physiological abnormalities in autism spectrum disorders: immune dysregulation, inflammation, oxidative stress, mitochondrial dysfunction and environmental toxicant exposures. Mol Psychiatry. Apr 2012; 17(4): 389–401. Published online Dec 6, 2011. doi: 10.1038/mp.2011.165 PMCID: PMC3317062
- Gehan A Mostafaand Laila Y AL-ayadh. Increased serum levels of anti-ganglioside M1 auto-antibodies in autistic children: relation to the disease severity. Journal of Neuroinflammation. 2011, 8:39 doi:10.1186/1742-2094-8-39 Published: 25 April 2011
- Onore C1, Careaga M, Ashwood P. The role of immune dysfunction in the pathophysiology of autism. Brain Behav Immun. 2012 Mar;26(3):383-92. doi: 10.1016/j.bbi.2011.08.007. Epub 2011 Aug 28.
- Gamsiz ED, et al. Intellectual disability is associated with increased runs of homozygosity in simplex autism. Am J Hum Genet. 2013 Jul 11;93(1):103-9.
- Lundvall et al. Aetiology of severe mental retardation and further genetic analysis by high-resolution microarray in a population-based series of 6- to 17-year-old children. Acta Paediatr. January 2012.
- Moskowitz et al. A multimethod assessment of anxiety and problem behavior in children with autism spectrum disorders and intellectual disability. Am J Intellect Dev Disabil. November 2013.
- Srivastava and Schwartz. Intellectual Disability and Autism Spectrum Disorders: Causal Genes and Molecular Mechanisms. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. April 4, 2014.
- Tureck et al. An examination of the relationship between autism spectrum disorder, intellectual functioning, and comorbid symptoms in children. Res Dev Disabil. March 20, 2014.
- Turygin et al. Prevalence of co-occurring disorders in a sample of adults with mild and moderate intellectual disabilities who reside in a residential treatment setting. Res Dev Disabil. March 20, 2014.
- Adams et al. Nutritional and metabolic status of children with autism vs. neurotypical children, and the association with autism severity. Nutr Metab (Lond). June 2011.
- Burrage et al. Branched-chain amino acid metabolism: from rare Mendelian diseases to more common disorders. Hum Mol Genet. 2014 Apr 1 (epub ahead of print)
- Celestino-Soper et al. A common X-linked inborn error of carnitine biosynthesis may be a risk factor for nondysmorphic autism. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012 May 22;109(21):7974-81.
- Frye et al. Metabolic effects of sapropterin treatment in autism spectrum disorder: a preliminary study. (PDF – 1.3 MB) Transl Psychiatry. March 2013.
- Frye et al. Redox metabolism abnormalities in autistic children associated with mitochondrial disease. (PDF – 2 MB) Transl Psychiatry. June 2013.
- Frye et al. Unique acyl-carnitine profiles are potential biomarkers for acquired mitochondrial disease in autism spectrum disorder. (PDF – 1.4 MB) Transl Psychiatry. January 2013.
- García-Cazorla et al. Two Novel Mutations in the BCKDK (Branched-Chain Keto-Acid Dehydrogenase Kinase) Gene Are Responsible for a Neurobehavioral Deficit in Two Pediatric Unrelated Patients. Hum Mutat. 2014 Apr;35(4):470-7.
- Goh S, Dong Z, Zhang Y, Dimauro S, Peterson BS. Mitochondrial Dysfunction as a Neurobiological Subtype of Autism Spectrum Disorder: Evidence From Brain Imaging. JAMA Psychiatry. 2014 Apr 9. doi: 10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2014.179. [Epub ahead of print]
- Napoli E, Wong S, Hertz-Picciotto I, Giulivi C. Deficits in Bioenergetics and Impaired Immune Response in Granulocytes From Children With Autism. Pediatrics. 2014 Apr 21 (epub ahead of print)
- Novarino et al. Mutations in BCKD-kinase lead to a potentially treatable form of autism with epilepsy. Science. 2012 Oct 19;338(6105):394-7.
- Rose S1, Melnyk S, Pavliv O, Bai S, Nick TG, Frye RE, James SJ. Evidence of oxidative damage and inflammation associated with low glutathione redox status in the autism brain. Transl Psychiatry. 2012 Jul 10;2:e134. doi: 10.1038/tp.2012.61.
- Rossignol and Frye. Mitochondrial dysfunction in autism spectrum disorders: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Molecular Psychiatry. January 2011.
- Zecavati and Spence. Neurometabolic Disorders and Dysfunction in Autism Spectrum Disorders. (PDF – 388 KB) Current Neurology and Neuroscience Reports. March 2009.
Neurological and Motor Impairments
- Amiet et al. Does epilepsy in multiplex autism pedigrees define a different subgroup in terms of clinical characteristics and genetic risk? Mol Autism. December 1, 2013.
- Christensen et al. Prevalence of cerebral palsy, co-occurring autism spectrum disorders, and motor functioning - Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network, USA, 2008. Dev Med Child Neurol. January 2014.
- Galizia et al. Array comparative genomic hybridization: results from an adult population with drug-resistant epilepsy and co-morbidities. Eur J Med Genet. May 2012.
- Kakooza-Mwesige et al. Catatonia in autism: implications across the life span. European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. September 2008.
- Nicholl et al. Epilepsy with cognitive deficit and autism spectrum disorders: prospective diagnosis by array CGH. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. January 2013.
- Shorter and Wachtel. Childhood catatonia, autism and psychosis past and present: is there an 'iron triangle'? Acta Psychiatr Scand. July 2013.
- Tuchman and Cuccaro. Epilepsy and Autism: Neurodevelopmental Perspective. Current Neurology and Neuroscience Reports. August 2011.
- Mahajan et al. Clinical Practice Pathways for Evaluation and Medication Choice for Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Symptoms in Autism Spectrum Disorders. Pediatrics Supplement. November 1, 2012.
- Bradstreet et al. Biomarker-guided interventions of clinically relevant conditions associated with autism spectrum disorders and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Altern Med Rev. April 2010.
- Cochran et al. "Autism-plus" spectrum disorders: intersection with psychosis and the schizophrenia spectrum. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am. October 2013.
- Johnston et al. Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder symptoms in adults with autism spectrum disorders. Autism Res. August 2013.
- Mazefsky et al. Emotion Regulation Patterns in Adolescents With High-Functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder: Comparison to Typically Developing Adolescents and Association With Psychiatric Symptoms. Autism Res. March 7, 2014.
- Musser et al. Shared familial transmission of autism spectrum and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorders. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. January 21, 2014.
- Rao and Landa. Association between severity of behavioral phenotype and comorbid attention deficit hyperactivity disorder symptoms in children with autism spectrum disorders. Autism. April 2014.
- Richa et al. Suicide in Autism Spectrum Disorders. Altern Med Rev. April 8, 2014.
- Russell et al. Cognitive behavior therapy for comorbid obsessive-compulsive disorder in high-functioning autism spectrum disorders: a randomized controlled trial. Depress Anxiety. August 2013.
- Sikora et al. Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Symptoms, Adaptive Functioning, and Quality of Life in Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder. Pediatrics Supplement. November 1, 2012.
- Talisa et al. Autism and anxiety in males with fragile X syndrome: An exploratory analysis of neurobehavioral profiles from a parent survey. Am J Med Genet A. May 2014.
- Autism Speaks/Autism Treatment Network/AIR-P Sleep Toolkit
- Malow et al. A Practice Pathway for the Identification, Evaluation, and Management of Insomnia in Children and Adolescents With Autism Spectrum Disorders. Pediatrics Supplement. November 1, 2012.
- Adkins et al. Effects of a Standardized Pamphlet on Insomnia in Children With Autism Spectrum Disorders. Pediatrics Supplement. November 1, 2012.
- Malow et al. Parent-Based Sleep Education for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. June 2013
- Schwichtenberg et al. Behavior and sleep problems in children with a family history of autism. Autism Res. April 2013.
- Sikora et al. The Relationship Between Sleep Problems and Daytime Behavior in Children of Different Ages With Autism Spectrum Disorders. Pediatrics Supplement. November 1, 2012.
- Carlsson et al. Coexisting disorders and problems in preschool children with autism spectrum disorders. ScientificWorldJournal. April 23, 2013.
- Coury et al. Use of Psychotropic Medication in Children and Adolescents With Autism Spectrum Disorders. Pediatrics Supplement. November 1, 2012.
- Curtin et al. The prevalence of obesity in children with autism: a secondary data analysis using nationally representative data from the National Survey of Children's Health.BMC Pediatr. February 23, 2010.
- Doshi-Velez et al. Comorbidity clusters in autism spectrum disorders: an electronic health record time-series analysis. Pediatrics. January 2014.
- Garcia et al. Self-directedness and cooperativeness, psychosocial dysfunction and suffering in ESSENCE. ScientificWorldJournal. April 28, 2013.
- Kohane et al. The Co-Morbidity Burden of Children and Young Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders. PloS One. April 2012.
- Kohane et al. The co-morbidity burden of children and young adults with autism spectrum disorders. PLoS One. April 2012.
- Lajonchere at al. Leadership in Health Care, Research, and Quality Improvement for Children and Adolescents With Autism Spectrum Disorders: Autism Treatment Network and Autism Intervention Research Network on Physical Health. Pediatrics Supplement. November 1, 2012.
- Lundvall et al. Common neurological co-morbidities in autism spectrum disorders. Curr Opin Pediatr. December 2011.
- National Autism Association: Medical Comorbidities Report.
- Perrin et al. Complementary and Alternative Medicine Use in a Large Pediatric Autism Sample. Pediatrics Supplement. November 1, 2012.
- Pettersson et al. Different neurodevelopmental symptoms have a common genetic etiology. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. December 2013.
- Russ et al. Hearing difficulties in children with special health care needs. J Dev Behav Pediatr. September 2013.
- Link to March 17, 2014 SFARI webinar on finding treatable forms of autism (related to metabolic issues)
- Link to April 21, 2014 SFARI webinar by Lisa Croen on adult comorbidities
- Link to video from Marsha Mailick's presentation at IMFAR May 2014 that discussed outcomes, including health conditions, in adults